månadsarkiv: maj 2016

Update Field.JSLink using JSOM or REST

Today I have just a little code snippet to share. This code snippet shows how to update the JSLink property for an existing field using JSOM and REST. For REST I use sharepoint-utilities.

A couple of notes, to update a field we need:

  • A POST request
  • with a header ‘X-HTTP-Method’: ‘MERGE’
  • with __metadata: { type: SP.Field } and JSLink property in the payload
  • and X-RequestDigest‘ header (but it is nicely handled by sharepoint-utilities)

Trigger SP2010 Workflows using JSOM

Today I found out how to start workflows in JSOM (JavaScript Object Model in SharePoint). Nothing special, but since it is not documented, it took me a while to find a solution. Here is the code which I want to keep as simple as possible.

What you need to start a SP2010 Workflow for a list item or a document in JSOM, you need to load SP.WorkflowServices.js and you need to create the manager and get the service, then you can trigger a workflow using the workflow name, the list guid and the guid of the list item:

Here is the code to trigger a workflow for multiple items:

 

The code above is inspired from this gist and sharepoint stackexchange. It is a simplified version that only works for list item workflows and SharePoint 2010 workflows.
Here is an example how you can get multiple items and batch start a workflow:

Why I needed it

I created a simple workflow that is triggered on Item Added and Item Updated. Unfortunately there are already thousands of items in the document library. To trigger them manually is nothing good. But a simple javascript solution did exactly what I wanted.

Create and download a file in javascript

Phew, I spent a lot of time to get this to work:

  • Create a text based file in javascript – a simple csv or txt
  • Download a file in Chrome and Internet Explorer
  • Make Excel understand Unicode characters (å ä ö and many more) in csv directly.

I found many solutions on the Internet that I used to find out a solution that works for me

A deep diving jsfiddle about unicode encodings, bom, line endings: http://jsfiddle.net/kimiliini/HM4rW (unfortunately, does not work in IE). There I learned one important thing: we need a BOM in order to make Excel understand that it is not just ASCII. The BOM (byte order mark) for utf-8 is %ef%bb%bf for utf-8. Without this bom you’ll see the right characters in a text editor (except Notepad of course), but if you open the csv file directly in Excel, you’ll see wrong letters.
Other good resources are FileSaver.js: https://github.com/eligrey/FileSaver.js and download.js: http://danml.com/download.html

This is my solution that is tested in Chrome and IE10:

Safari

Unfortunately in Safari, the link is opened directly in the web browser. You have to press Cmd – S to trigger Save As manually.

Part of SharePoint Utilities

I submitted this code to sputils (SharePoint Utilities) on github.